The gray and coal layers, covering the morning sky and the dense dark green rosin cover in southeastern Connecticut, fired showers of rain and resounding applause. Patches of condensation hug the ground, like smoke trays created by many camp fires, escalated to the top.
New London, located on the River Thames and proudly displaying its heritage with many preserved historic buildings, was established in 1646 by John Winthrop, Jr., and developed into an important port. With a fleet of 30 ships and about 900 employees by 1834, it became the third largest whaling port after New Bedford and Nantucket, and today is a small transport hub: buses deposit passengers in front of the railway station, its gently curved track, a parallel route with both trains Amtrak and Metro North, while serving as a gateway to Cross Sound Ferry to Block Island and Long Island, are huge steel ramps for its boats that drive dozens of cars and trucks every hour. Although at 2:00 pm leading to Orient Point just jumped off the sidewalk on that hot day in August, the vehicles booked for the 3:00 departure have already taken their positions on many boarding passes.
Founded to control the geographical challenges posed by Long Island and Connecticut, Cross Sound Ferry Company is owned and managed by the brother and sister team Adam and Jessica Wronowski based in New London itself. Long Island, which separates the East River from the Long Island Sound, extends more than 110 miles from New York, and its northern coastline is almost parallel to the southern shore of Connecticut, yet the two land masses are connected only by the Whitstone and Throgs Neck Bridges. Depending on the person's proximity, in theory, he may have to drive between 100 and 200 miles on the western arteries – Long Island Highway and Interstate 95 – to reach his destination.
In order to remedy these shortcomings, Cross Sound Ferry Company opened a scheduled transportation service, passengers and vehicles between Long Island at East End at Orient Point and New London, Connecticut, in 1975, to form the very necessary link for the first time.
There are many factors, including population growth on Long Island, the rapid increase in vine-related tourism, the establishment of Fox Woods Casino complexes in Connecticut and Mohegan Sun and often congested roads, resulting in tremendous growth, with up to 23 daily trips In every direction during the peak season and over a million passengers a year.
Operates a mobile fleet of eight ships.
The Caribbean, with a total length of 128 feet and a 1,440-horsepower engine, was built in 1972 by Blount Marine in Warren, Rhode Island, for the Caribbean archipelago and Western India services, but was acquired by Cross Sound five years later. . It accommodates 130 passengers and 22 vehicles, renovated in a new pilot house and loading ramp in 1995.
The North Star, built in 1968 in the city of Morgan, Louisiana, was purchased to serve as a marine supply ship, in 1984 and converted for current use by the Eastern Naval Shipyard in Panama City, Florida. The 168-foot boat, powered by a 1,800-horsepower engine, can accommodate 300 passengers and 35 vehicles.
The 260-foot-long New London Hotel, which resembles North Star with its long, exposed back surface, was built in 1979 by The Times Shipbuilding and Repair in New London itself, but was equipped with an overhead cab in 1992 and a Cummins KTA38- diesel engine. M2 with 2400 hp after two years, providing speeds of up to 15 knots. It is one of only three ships in the fleet to do so. It accommodates the same number of passengers as the North Star and provides enough deck space to double its cars, or 60.
Susan Anne, with a length of 840 passengers, consisting of 80 vehicles and 250 feet, was created in 1964, in the name of Prince Nova, which runs the shuttle service between Caribou, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Widely modified by Times Shipbuilding and Repair after being acquired by Cross Sound in 1998, it acquired a new passenger compartment, airline and cabin style seats, hydraulic lift decks, new engine room systems, new electrical equipment, Enhanced payment. It is now powered by a 4,600-horsepower turbocharged diesel engine, and the large-scale round ferry also reaches 15 knots.
Mary Ellen was built in 1983 and has 20 years of age, 260 feet in length and holds 800 passengers and 85 cars. Powered by a 3100-horsepower engine, the third achieves 15-knot marine speeds.
The largest, at a height of 327 feet, and the most historic ship in the fleet, Cape Henlopen was built in 1941 as a World War II tank carrier in Jeffersonville, Indiana, then appointed USS LST 510, and participated in the D-Day invasion ship landing on a beach. Omaha in Normandy, which won him a battle star. It was converted for civilian use as a passenger ferry in 1966, serving the Lewis, Delaware, route to Cape May, New Jersey, before being acquired by Cross Sound 17 years later. Renovated with an EMD 12-645 diesel engine with 3,000 horsepower in 1995, the boat carries 900 passengers and 90 cars within its 55-foot beam, with a speed of 12.5 knots.
Designed by InCat in Australia and built by Nichols Brothers Shipyard in Seattle, Washington, in 1989, Sea Jet I is the fastest and fastest pure passenger ship in the fleet. The 122-foot long, short-wave boat, with a 5,000-horsepower engine and Maritime Dynamics ride control system, served three routes before it was purchased in 1995: Boston-Nantucket, Hawaiian Island Passenger Service, and San Diego-Catalina Island. The 400 passengers traveling in two-story airways express the sound in 40 minutes at 30 knots.
The larger capacity John H gateway, designed specifically for the Cross Sound system only, is m / v, which was scheduled to run at 3:00 am to Orient Point. The boat, built in 1989 by the Eastern Marine Shipping Company in Panama City, is the 240-foot, 60-foot, and 10-foot caliber, the largest under the US Coast Guard subdivision T regulations, certified To run on lakes, in bays, and on sounds.
Delivered on June 22, 1989, the 98-ton steel ferry features a 120-level two-level car deck; a forward bar and lounge; a medium cabin with Cross Sound Deli; aft compartment and a boardwalk. The upper deck with external seats to accommodate a total of 1000 passengers. Flat-screen televisions are available throughout.
It is recently equipped with less combustible nitrogen oxide, a 3000 hp diesel engine, and has speeds of 13 knots. Its call sign is WAC 6768.
Swallowing many flat cars and trucks lining the boarding passes through the rear entrance and inserting them into the main cavernous deck, m / v John H retreated from its hydraulically sloped and disappeared from Connecticut dust, almost imperceptibly drifting away from the dock with a low roar from its engine.
Sailing across the dark blue surface of the River Thames, she left New London, the deepest port on the east coast to reach deeper waters due to its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, and passed the General Dynamics Electric Shipyard section, located on the east side, at Groton. It is one of only two American sites where nuclear submarines are built and maintained.
After sailing two miles away, the boat passed a rocky point on the west side of the Thames, representing its entrance and guarded by the light of the new port of London. The lighthouse, in its original form, as a result of increased seaborne traffic, was built in 1761 on a 64-foot stone tower topped by a wooden lantern, replacing itself as a temporary lighthouse, mid-18th century.
Second, it was replaced in 1801 by a 89-foot-tall stone tower and cast-iron lantern after it weakened a large temple structure two years ago, and an octagonal brown stone lighthouse, the fourth in North America and the first on Long Island Sound, ranking Connecticut. The oldest one of the first to feature a flashing lamp. The guard house, which was added in 1863, was expanded at the turn of the century.
The New London Harbor Light, which operates on a fixed red and white sectoral warning light, continues to be an active navigation aid to alert dangerous ships Sarah Ledge.
As if it were a first-generation GPS starting point, the lighthouse became the first of many to be negotiated on the ferry's southwest route via Long Island Sound, which it has now entered. New London Ledge Light is transformed from a glamorous red brick, which features a manless roof and granite details, slowly out of the port, indicating the port entrance.
It originated from the traffic created by the Industrial Revolution, which considered New Harbor Light insufficient, due to the spread of shallow and invisible and remote edges, dictated by homeowners in coastal Connecticut who wanted to maintain an elegant unification area with the style of the Second French Empire, built in 1901 By Hamilton R. Douglas in New London. It was one of the last New England lighthouses built.
Her bed was pulled to the site and filled with concrete and falling before sinking at a height of 28 feet of water, while her 50-square-foot concrete pier was built at an altitude of 18 feet above the low tide. Three levels of windows represent an equal number of floors. A cast iron lantern, originally worn in four-order Fresnel lenses and a steam lamp for incandescent oil, rose from the ceiling of the tower. A fog signal was added in 1911. Its light consists of intermittent mono and triple white flashes for 30 seconds. In 1987, the Long Island Sound Lighthouse became automated.
Maintain 13 knots, m / v John H past the last of Fishers Island.
Gothic Lighthouse Race Rock The lighthouse on a round base, quickly moved on the left side. Located in the western part of the island, the miniature structure of the castle is a particularly precarious area whose small rocky outcrops, which penetrated 70 feet of water, were the cause of ship wrecks and numerous collisions. It was first lit on January 1, 1879.
John / M. John F. kept swallowing the meaningless vacuum formed by the bright white cloud mist above and the surreal mirrors of the Long Island Sound down somewhere between New London and Orient Point. When you wake up late. But a thin pencil line marked its origin and face, and it appears to be equal between the rear and the arch. Strong winds, trying to counter the soup moisture and sulfur heat, were marginally victorious. Long Island itself, bordered by Westchester County, New York, the Bronx in the west and the Orient Point and Bloom Islands, Jules, and Fishers in the east, is 90 miles long by 3 to 20 miles, resulting in 1,180 – a half square mile between East River and Block Island Sound. It formed part of the international Atlantic corridor.
Its basin, made up of pre-glacial stream flows, was reduced as a result of two glacial advances, increasing the depth of the water by more than 100 feet and turning it from freshwater, an untidal lake to a salty area, and an ocean tide.
The mouth of the Connecticut River at Old Saybrook flows into the sound, while most of its drainage, along with the Hosontic and Thames rivers, flows rapidly at the open eastern end through a drainage basin of approximately 13 times its size.
Its waters are rich in blue fish, lobster, crabs and shellfish, while the watershed supports about eight million people.
In the front lounge on m / v John H, passengers drank alcoholic beverages, while others bought a snack or late lunch from Cross Sound Deli in the middle of the cabin. Watching and reading television prevailed in the back section, a handful of rays and winds survived on the open surface above.
The Gul Islands, seven miles northeast of Orient Point and halfway between the Bloom and Fishers Islands, moved steadily from the port side.
Great Gull, formerly the site of the military fortress, was a wildlife research station after it was created by the American Museum of Natural History in 1948 to study migratory bats.
Purchased by Samuel Willis in 1659, Little Gol, which progresses through many owners, eventually went into the hands of the government by acquiring 1803, 800 dollars for her to build a lighthouse on an ideal location, one acre and high tide. Unlike some existing rocks leading to the foundation, all other building materials required to be transported to the island should have been by sea.
The 59-foot-high tower, a smooth stone stone that was placed in training courses, was built inside with a spiral wooden staircase and a vanity for the room, running in 1805, and a separate wooden bungalow consisting of one and a half floors. 39; s quarter contains two rooms on the main level and one on the top floor. A circular stone wall, 100 feet in diameter and 11 feet thick, designed for storm protection, was later added during the summer of 1817.
A larger 81-foot lighthouse, constructed in 1867 on a 5-foot-lined base of the wall, replaced the previous structure, and was connected to the house of the guardian of wood and granite three years later. The Fesnel Class II lens was first used in December of 1869.
Ending 177 years of attendance, the station surrendered to automation in 1978.
Turning left into the now deep blue waters reflecting the blue powdery sky, m / v John H entered the "race", which was determined by tidal currents exceeding five knots that are often associated with strong winds and heavy land seas to produce tides Seriously rip. Cracking white zooms caps with a bow, veered on the longitudinal axis.
Bloom Island, the largest of the three atolls extending north towards the sound of Long Island, such as Samuel Littes, was purchased by Samuel Willis in 1659 from Wayanandash, Montauk Sachem. In 1775, it was the site of an amphibious landing by continental forces under the direction of General David Wooster so that they could thwart possible cattle raids by the British, while a coastal artillery base was built more than a century later, in 1899 during the Spanish-American War. It always played a protective role, guarding the Long Island Sound and the harbor of New York during the two world wars, which were occupied by about 1,000 soldiers during its peak, and the rest included the smaller batteries and the four bricks in which they were housed. Taking advantage of some old officers' animal until 1984, the US Department of Agriculture established a laboratory there.
A rough, 40-foot-tall stone tower, topped by ten reflective lamps, was the island's first lighthouse in 1827, a year after Richard Jerome sold three of its 840 acres to the US government. In 1869, it was replaced by a treacherous western structure that was replaced by a 23-foot-old, almost two-storey, almost granite structure that appears in the church.
M / v John H, barely emitting an industrious industrious vessel, departs from Plum Gut Harbor, pleading with the black and white Orient Point Lighthouse rock lighthouse, which lies just off the point after which his name has been identified and points to the near arrival.
The lighthouse was built between 1898 and 1899 to celebrate the end of the Oyster Point Reef and guide ships through the dangerous currents of Bloom Jute, the lighthouse, consisting of curved cast-iron plates clustered together to form a lump cone, located on a circular, 21-casson with a concrete-filled and padded diameter. From the outside with bricks. She herself used a part of the Rock Oyster Point as her foundation. 64-foot structure, often dubbed "coffee pot" because of its appearance, listed five degrees toward the southeast. It became automated in 1966.
With the low speed and size corresponding to the turquoise turquoise resulting from its appearance, the ferry left Long Island Sound, passing through Gardner Bay before starting a right and final approach towards the tip of North Fork, departing, Connecticut by Mary Ellen, wearing her hind and black entrances, beating the bow John M. E / In the left arch it passes the Orient Point Lighthouse. The “road curve” remained another lighthouse before docking, the Orient Long Beach Bar Light, which represented the entrance to Orient Harbor.
This 60-foot structure is located on a spiral pile platform, which itself penetrated ten feet of sand on the bottom of the bay, topped by a fifth-order fifth lens with a steady red light, while a double wooden frame, floor keepers' house was Covered with roof ceiling.
During the winter, her spindle legs are often covered with snow with two feet thick. In 1824, for example, he tore the road in the dock, and in 1881 broke three of its pillars and almost all of its pillars.
Sandy, increasingly distancing himself from the lighthouse, had finally made it unnecessary, and by 1963, it was completely destroyed by arson.
By 1990, a three-part replica of the original, called “illumination”, was created because it resembled an insect walking on water, constructed and transported to the site, where cranes were assembled. Under the control of the US Coast Guard three years later, he was again appointed as an official shipping assistant.
During strenuous movement through the harbor, John M / E stopped moving, opened her upward-looking upward slope and prepared herself to land after the 16.5-mile Long Island Sound Crossing through its multiple beacons, canceling the motorcade from its cave hanging on Orient Point, the far east A small village in Southold town and a gateway to North Fork Farms, Vineyards and Greenport Marine Village.