A Rhinebeck Tourist Guide, New York

1. Introduction and History

Located east of the Hudson River in Dutchess County, about 100 miles north of Manhattan, Rhinebeck, accessible by the Tachonic State Parkway, Route 9, Route 9W, and the New York State Thruway, is a picturesque and intensely historic village. Yet it is part of the Hudson Valley National Historic Area, which was established in 1996 by Congress to recognize, preserve, protect, and interpret the history and resources of the significant national valley for the benefit of nation, and stretches from Yonkers to Albany.

Founded in 1686 when the Dutch Gerrit Artsen, Arie Roosa, Jan Elting, and Henrick Kip exchanged 2,200 acres of local land with six Indians from the Esopus (Kingston) and Sopaseo (Rhinebeck) tribes, it was initially designated "Kipsbergen" . In 1713, Judge Henry Beekman referred to these land holdings as "Ryn Beck" for the first time.

One of the country's largest historic districts, with 437 sites listed on the National Historic Register, the Village of Rhinebeck and the largest, surrounding Town of Rhinebeck, comprises half of the 16 miles that includes the 30 river fronts. confined associated with the landing. aristocracy of the region during the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century.

Often referred to as a "picturesque village" and the "Hudson's Jewel", it offers many walking attractions, such as antiques, art galleries, bed-and-breakfasts, inns, restaurants, usually housed in historic buildings.

The country's signature and stalwart is the Beekman Arms, America & # 39; s the oldest, still in continuous operation listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Tracing back to 1766 when Arent Traphagen moved his father Bogardos's structure of sturdy stone and wood – so built to protect it against Indian attacks – at the crossroads of the country's recent Ryn Beck, only in the end as it's mecca. of revolutionaries, often welcoming the plan of George Washington, Benedict Arnold and Alexander Hamilton. When the British burned Kingston, the state capital, located across the Hudson, citizens sought refuge here.

Purchased by Asa Potter in 1802, he later served in multiple roles, including the borough, the theater, the post office and the newspaper.

Renewed, expanded, renamed its current moniker "Beekman Arms" by sophomore Tracy Durs, it served as inspiration for the novel Thomas Wolfe & # 39; s, Time and the River, after frequent visits here, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, greeted by Park Hyde, started all four of his successful presidential and presidential campaigns forming his veranda.

The significantly larger complex provides spaces for sightseeing, dining, and lodging, amidst a preserved, colonial setting.

The Beekman Arms Tavern, located on the ground floor, is decorated with dark wood paneling, a huge brick fire, and large plank floors, and divided into the Colonial Tap Room, a garden greenhouse, and various spaces. of separate lunches.

The upper floors contain the original room & # 39; It is meticulously restored and elegant 1766 rooms, although the accommodation is available in several affiliate structures. In the middle of exposed brick walls and high ceilings, for example, guests can stay in the country's original fire, while Townsend House, opened in 2004, features design and architecture influenced by others. Rhinebeck historic structures. The guesthouse, located behind the main inn, offers cheaper motel-style rooms.

The Delameter Inn, designed in 1844 by Alexander Jackson Davis and an example of Gothic architecture by American carpenters, is a block north of the Beekman Arms, and is part of a seven-room complex surrounding a courtyard. Many rooms feature fireplaces.

Rhinebeck itself offers many attractions. Dutchess County Fairgrounds, for example, host events such as the Dutchess County Fair, the Rhinebeck Antique Fair, the Crafts at Rhinebeck exhibition, and the Iroquos Festival, while the Center for Arts Performing of Rhinebeck offers classics, dramas, live music. benefits for children to see local theater companies, although the talent also includes national and international names. As well as a large barn to complement the surrounding rural landscape and to pay tribute to the origins of the estate's action, it replaced the temporary tent under which they donated the seasonal show between 1994 and 1997, opening in July of the following year and becoming a year-round venue in 1999.

Many historic aviation and architectural attractions surround the immediate city, most of which offer excellent views of the Hudson River and the Catskill Mountains beyond.

2. Rhinebeck Museum of History

Located 3.5 miles north of the Village of Rhinebeck on Route 9, the Rhinebeck Museum of History, housed in the historic Quitman House, was founded in 1992 "to encourage understanding and appreciation of history." Rhinebeck through the collection, preservation, display, and interpretation of material important to Rhinebeck "through letters, books, newspapers, clothing, furniture, photographs, postcards and artifacts. Open from mid-June to 31 October, it presents two annual exhibitions, of the previous ones, which were entitled "The First Century", "The Civil War", "The Guilded Era", "World War I" , "The Roosevelt Years," "World War II," and "Early Rhinebeck Industries," among others.

The Quitman House, marked the area of ​​the city's first settlement, was built in 1798 as a landscape by the Parisians of the nearby Old Stone Church by the Rev. Frederick H. Quitman, who had served the Lutheran congregation. for more than three decades.

Henry Beekman, who had established 35 German palatial families in the area in the early 1700s, had received most of the land by royal grant, and the nascent community developed around a single timber church until the 19th century, and in which trade it had. rooted three miles south in the village designated "The Flatts."

3. Wilderstein

Located 2 and a half miles from the historic center of Rhinebeck, Wilderstein, called the petroglyph of a figure holding a peace pipe in his right hand and a tomahawk on his left in Suckley Cove, translates as "man." wild & # 39; s stone "by the German, and which had been a restricted Italianast villa when it was built in 1852. Three generation home of the Suckley family, had been significantly enlarged in 1888 with two floors. upper, a tower, and a veranda, rendering to her the elaborate Queen Anne-style mansion overlooking the Hudson River today.

The interior retains all original wall sculpture, furniture, artwork, book collection, stained glass windows since its 1888 expansion, and the ground floor, designed by Joseph Burr Tifany, features a dark hearth. , of maximum panels, a fireplace, a library. , a living room, a kitchen, and two lounges.

Calvert Vaux and his son, hired in 1890 to design the romantic landscape exterior, had already had a long list of similar accomplishments, including other estates in Hudson River and Prospect Park and Central Park in New York, and had ordered 1,091 shrubs and 41 trees from a rural Rhinebeck nursery for the Wilderstein project. The area, greatly reduced from its original size, currently covers 40 acres and three miles of slopes.

Margaret (Daisy) Suckley, a close friend of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the last to survive, had relinquished the mansion and its grounds to the 1983 Wilderstein Conservation, a non-profit educational institution. Today it is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

4. Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Located on a small Norton road easily on the east side of the Hudson River, not far from the Rhinebeck village itself, Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome offers a gateway to grass fields and covered aerial drones. fabrics representing the first "germ" of aviation a century ago.

His own seed was planted when Cole Palen, having earned his now aeronautical and engine training license at the now defunct Long Island Roosevelt Aviation School, purchased six aircraft sold by his museum to vacate the area. the outstanding Roosevelt Field Shopping Mall. .

After looking at an abandoned chicken coop on the Palen farm in Rhinebeck, the six aircraft, which were in mind, were a 1917 SPAD XII, a 1918 J-1 Standard, a 1914 Avro 504K, a 1918 Curtiss Jenny, a 1918 Sopwith Snipe 7F1. , and a 1918 L-Aeromarine 39B, had formed its initial fleet and the "aerodrome" had been a rocky outcrop, from a 1,000-meter-long, rocky, swamp marsh called "runway" and a single raw building serving as a "hangar" on a patch of farmland. he later acquired. The additional acquisitions of the aircraft and parts will expand most of the biplane line, following considerable upgrading and rebuilding.

Three metal helmet-shaped hangars, a quonset, built between 1963 and 1964 and located atop a small hill above the main parking lot of dirt and grass, Pioneer House, World War I, and aircraft. Lindbergh epic today. new museum facility and a small gift shop. But the aerodrome itself, on the other side of Norton Road, is accessed by a covered wooden bridge that serves more than just an entrance to the grass field, but rather as a gateway. from the time it was the barnstorming aviation, a historical dimension somehow arrested. and is preserved in time beyond its borders.

Hooks, as is unknown in the calendar, proud of the brave winds, carrying names such as Albatros Werke, Royal Aircraft Factory Farnborough, AV Roe and Company, Ltd., and Fokker. But it is the multitude of mono-, bi- and triplanes that most fiercely struggle with a conception of the present & # 39;

The current air show program, which runs from mid-June to mid-October, shows the "Flight History" show on Saturday, with pioneering aircraft such as the Bleriot XI, Curtiss D "Pusher" and Hanriot, while Sunday's "First World War" show includes designs such as Albatros, Avro 504K, Caudron G.III, and Curtiss JN-4D Jenny, the Fokker D.VII, the Fokker Dr.I, the Nieuport II, the Sopwith Camel, the SPAD VII, the Davis D1W, the de Havviland Tiger Moth, and the Great Lakes 2T-1R.

The four-passenger New Standard D-25 biplane wheel is given before and after the show, while viewers can admire the fleet both at hangars and at the aerodrome of the four while making lunch on the decks. picnic tables open in the Aerodrome Cellar.

Audience volunteers, Victorian, Edwardian, and 1920s sportsmen provided fashion shows after switching to the airfield, a red runway-mounted caboose, often transporting spectators past vintage cars. 39; and a 1909 Renault, a 1916 Studebaker, and a Model T Speedster in 1914. Periodic music makes up the scene.

The air shows, which feature only high sprints in pioneer aircraft's treetop before immediate launches on the grass, otherwise offer more dramatic maneuvering of the era's designs. World War I and Lindbergh's, including aerobatics, dogfights, bomb raids, balloon bursts, parachutes, and "Delsey Drive."

5. Montgomery Place

Designed by Alexander Jackson Davis and nestled in a landscape influenced by Andrew Jackson Downing, Montgomery Place, located off of Route 9G in Annandale-on-Hudson, is a richly ornate, classic, architecturally reborn, reflecting both the Hudson Valley heritage life. and almost 200 years of family ownership and footprint.

Tracing back to 1802 when 59-year-old Janet Livingston Montgomery had purchased an area of ​​242 acres to establish a commercial farm and build a house called "Château de Montgomery" to honor her husband, General Richard Montgomery , first served as a base for living and working.

Located at the end of a half-mile-long, deciduous, federal-style road, a stuccoed country house has become the center of orchards, gardens, greenhouses and greenhouses, and flowers and trees. ; they were sent from exotic areas of the world. , including magnolia, yellow jasmine, orange, and mangoes from England and Italy in Europe and Antigua in the Caribbean. The thriving business has provided seeds and fruit trees to local farmers.

Although he was destined for the heirs of General Montgomery & # 39; his oldest deaths forced him to surrender to his younger brother, Edward Livingston, whose public service career served as mayor of New York City, U.S. Representative and Louisiana Senator. . , Secretary of State, and Minister of Finance during Andrew Jackson's administration.

Louis Livingston, his widow, and Coralie Livingston Barton, his daughter, renamed the "Montgomery Place" mansion, using it as a summer residence and extensively changing their architectural and landscape character during a period of 40 years. The farm and pastures, in particular, formal flower gardens and an ornate conservatory, and the aesthetics of the estate have been reinforced with walkways to Saw Kill Stream, rustic benches, landscaped gardens. colorful fruits, and an arboretum composed of glittering leaves. European beech, cucumber magnolia, red oak, sweetgum, Tuliptree, white chard, Sargent & # 39; s pill, dogwood flower, Amur Corktree, black lucca and Sycamore trees These 150 nature-friendly monoliths can be enjoyed today even as you walk through the Visitor Center & # 39; s and the actual palace.

Based on the style of Alexander Jackson Davis, then the greatest American architect of the romantic movement, the house itself was reprogrammed with porches, wings, and balustrades during a dual-phase process begun in 1842 and later in 1860, rendering the classic. example of revival is today.

Andrew Jackson Downing, then primary landscape writer and co-owner of a living in Newburgh, New York, provided input on gardens, statues, walking paths, and water features.

Following a post-Civil War decline, at that time the property had been occupied by relatives, General John Ross Delafield, a descendant of Livingston and a lawyer from New York, who inherited, and his wife, Violetta White Delafield, a botanist herself, revived the landscape. introducing garden beds for roses, herbs and perennials, a wildlife garden with an artificial stream, and an ellipse covered with a pool for aquatic plants.

In 1986, the descendants of Delafield transferred title to Montgomery Place, its 424 acres of land, and part of the hamlet of Annandale, to the Sleepy Hollow Restorations (later renamed Historic Hudson Valley) to ensure its restoration and preservation. Now a National Historic Landmark, reopened to the public two years later.

6. College Bard

The only farthest north and immediately off Route 9G in Annandale-on-Hudson is College Bard. A merger of two historic buildings, the liberal arts, residential campus, located on more than 500 acres of fields and woodland adjoining the river, features a complex of trails and walking paths through wooded areas, along the Saw Kill Stream, and up to the Hudson River, where the Catskill Mountains are visible.

Founded in 1860 by John Bard in association with the New York City leadership of the Episcopal Church and initially called St. John & # 39; s Stephens College, used part of the Bard River's heritage. Annandale, and the Chapel of the Holy Innocents, both of whom he gave, to teach a classical curriculum, preparatory for those wishing to enter the seminary.

Moving to a larger, more secular institution in 1919, he incorporated natural and social science courses into his curriculum for the first time, and a decade later served as a college and university student. Columbia. Increasingly focusing on liberal art, it officially adopted the name "Bard College" in 1934 and ten years later became a co-educational institution, to break ties with Columbia.

By 1960, the very extensive curriculum included science, art, art history, sculpture and anthropology and attracted a significantly larger base of students and faculty. A film department was introduced.

Its first training program, the Milton Avery Graduate School of the Arts, was created in 1981 and, in the summer of 1990, the Bard Music Festival, created to provide a deeper appreciation of the renowned composers, was introduced, focusing on the work and era of a different artist and displayed on the modern, metal-roofed, Frank O. Gehry designed for Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts in 2003 Bold, innovative architectural structure, offers day and camera tours. , orchestral, jazz, drama, musical, dance, and works by American and international artists during the evening, is divided into three places. The Sosnoff Theater, with an orchestra, a parterre, and two sections of balcony, has seating for 900, while Theater Two of the two sports boasts adjustable-type seats, and a semi-fly tower with a walkway. The Felicitas S. Thorne Dance Studio serves as a classroom and rehearsal room.

7. Clermont State Historic Site

The 500-acre Clermont Historic Site, north of the city of Tivoli and off Route 9G, was the seat of the Livingston family politically and socially, with the seven generations forming the home and grounds for a period of 230 years.

The estate dates back to 1728 when Robert Livingston, Jr. purchased 13,000 acres of land along the Hudson River from his father, the First Lord of Livingston Manor, who had owned the second third of private land in New York. colonial, and built a brick. , Georgian-style farmhouse between 1730 and 1750, christening it with the French name for "clear mountain", or "clermont", after the Catskill peaks visible next to it.

When his only son, Robert P. Livingston, later married Margaret Beekman, who had been heirs to immense estates, he greatly expanded the boundaries of the properties. His son, and eldest son, Robert. R. Livingston, Jr., was a prominent and highly influential figure who, as one of the Five Committees, drafted the Declaration of Independence, served as and the Prime Minister 39; United States Foreign Affairs, specifically as Secretary of State, and Chancellor of New. York, under the title of which he swore an office to George Washington as the nation's first president.

Due to the involvement of the Livingston family in the promotion of independence, British troops set fire and burned the palace in the fall of 1777, but Margaret Beekman Livingston, who managed it, replaced it during third period from 1779 to 1782..

Developed for agricultural purposes, it has been the site of experimental sheep breeding and growing crop methods, attracting national attention.

A more elaborate home, in an "H" configuration, was built south of the original in 1792, but was decimated by flames in 1909.

Served by Thomas Jefferson & # 39; Minister to France from 1801 to 1804, Chancellor Livingston negotiated the Louisiana Purchase in Paris, then conceived the world's first steamship with Robert Fulton. Making his inaugural trip from New York to Albany in 1807, he reduced the ground trip to less than half the time and paved the way for the Fulton Steamboat Company and the lucrative passenger and freight transportation along the river. Hudson.

After returning to the chancellor's oldest daughter, the estate received considerable additions and modifications, and in the 1920s, John Henry Livingston and his wife, Alice Delafield Clarkson Livingston, remodeled. in the Colonial Revival style.

Married between the death of her husband & # 39; s and the victim of World War II, moved into the gardener's cottage, unable to maintain its expensive maintenance, although it was usually opened during holidays and special occasions.

Granted in New York State in 1967, it was later designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973, and today it looks like it did in the early 20th century when it was occupied by Mr. and Mrs. John Henry Livingston and their daughters, Honoria and Janet, the last two generations have lived here.

A Visitor Center, located a short distance from the present building, features a museum with a model of the first steamboat, a gift shop and a bookstore, and an introductory film.

8. Conclusion

A tour of Rhinebeck's villages and town, along with its many breathtaking views, is a dive into historic sites, bed and breakfasts, antiques and works of art, architectural-bold theaters, and large, fine art. 39; vintage aviation, and the region's first century aristocratic life, all with the blue backdrop of the Hudson River and the green silhouettes of the Catskill Mountains rising beyond.